Sunday, February 8, 2009

Grammys Tonight

As a huge fan of Radiohead, I'm excited for the Grammys tonight (8:00pm ET/PT, CBS). Rumor has it that they'll be performing "15 Step" with the USC Marching Band. I'm not sure how excited I am about the marching band part--another interesting musical move by Radiohead--but it'll be great to see them perform.

TV On The Radio
, another band I've been listening to a lot lately, was on SNL last night and will be on the Colbert Report tomorrow (11:30pm/10:30C, Comedy Central). Their most recent album, Dear Science, has gotten great reviews, and both Rolling Stone and Spin declared it the best album of 2008. I'd recommend checking it out. Unfortunately, the band continues to play "Golden Age" and/or "Dancing Choose" in seemingly every television performance, and I don't particularly like either of those songs.

Also, last night I went to a Bob Marley tribute concert put on by the reggae band Groundation. I'm not a big fan of Groundation, mostly because I don't like the voice of singer Harrison Stafford, but it was awesome to hear Bob Marley's music performed with a lot of energy by musicians who really know reggae. With that said, I was slightly annoyed by how Stafford used the stage as a platform to preach his political views. Sure, Bob Marley's music was hugely political, but perhaps Stafford should've kept his preachings for a concert where he performs his own music, if only out of respect for Marley, who may or may not have agreed with Stafford's opinions if he were present. If I'd agreed with Stafford's opinions I might have felt differently, but I'd rather a performer simply focus on putting on a great show and spreading "good vibes", especially at a reggae concert.

2 comments:

  1. What was Stafford going on about?

    Legalizing pot? I know that'd push you over the edge, the way pot affects you and all...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you know, he was going on about this and that. And no, he wasn't talking about legalizing pot. That stuff may as well have been legal, though, given the amount of smoke in the air.

    ReplyDelete