Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Reggae

This episode's podcast available here.
What are the first images that come to mind when you think of reggae music? For me, it’s always been tropical islands, jubilation, and marijuana. Sure, these things are all wonderful in manageable doses--well, I guess it depends on whom you ask--but until recently I’d thought of reggae music as being valuable pretty much exclusively as background music for a summer beach party. It seemed to me that the message of an average reggae song could be paraphrased as, “Look how blissful life is! Isn’t it great that we’re all so happy?!” Call me a negative person (you wouldn’t be the first), but I often couldn’t relate to music that I thought was so uncompromisingly joyful.

On a recent trip to Hawaii, however, my thoughts about reggae were entirely changed, and now it’s a genre that I've incorporate prominently into my music listening rotation. The fact that I’m not sure I heard any other type of music the entire time I was in Hawaii, as that’s pretty much all they play on the radio or in any public space, isn’t what did it for me. I was driving along the coast during a tropical rainstorm when the song “Idren” by BW, a local reggae artist, started playing on the car stereo. The dark, dismal mood the squall had provided allowed me to perceive the ‘vibe’ of the song in a wonderfully different way. Suddenly, it all made sense, and I was completely engrossed in the song in the best possible way, yet……I didn’t feel ecstatically happy! I always knew that reggae had evolved in a world of poverty and misery as a sort of cultural coping mechanism, but I now realized that it was not, as I’d thought, about ignoring life’s hardships. Rather, reggae is about accepting that life can be tough, and striving to mellow out and appreciate its simple pleasures–love, beauty, nature and community. And that I can relate to.

During my trip I discovered two active local Hawaiian bands that blew me away in particular: BW and Ooklah the Moc. Given their talent, it still baffles me to think that these bands are essentially unknown on the mainland.

Since I’ve returned, I’ve discovered a handful of other reggae artists from all over the world whose music I simply can’t believe I’d previously lived without. This episode’s podcast features songs from the above-mentioned Hawaiian groups, and a few other of my favorite reggae songs. Oh, and if you happen to be in Hawaii any time soon, do yourself a favor and check out these bands.

-Greg

Download the podcast here (track information below).

1. Marcia Griffiths - Don't Let me Down (0:06-3:13)
2. BW - Idren (3:14-7:21)
3. Ooklah the Moc - You Light (7:22-12:56)
4. Rebel Souljahz - Long Long Time (12:57-16:42)
5. The Jahlights - Right Road to Dubland (16:42-19:39)

3 comments:

  1. really liked the version of dont let me down!although it was distorted (i thought it was just the podcast but none of the other songs were, so maybe it's just your copy of the mp3..?). no worries tho, gave it a nostalgic feel :)

    my fave is ooklah the moc- you light!! and i can totally picture idren during a storm...good image.

    ps your writing isnt boring- it's actually very cohesive, therefore it flows etc. 1Love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the format, the content and most of all the music! Looking forward to upcoming episodes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Don't Let me Down" is an old recording, but I think it adds a little character to it.

    ReplyDelete