Thursday, April 30, 2009

Ooklah the Moc is Great in Concert

I had the pleasure of seeing Ooklah the Moc in concert twice last week, and I can safely say they're one of the most impressive live acts I've ever seen. Though they stick to a specific sound that isn't particularly popular outside of Hawaii (Rick Anderson from eMusic's All Music Guide describes their music as "'70s-style roots-and-culture reggae"), Ooklah has clearly mastered it. Each of the band's four vocalists was stellar, the rhythm section the drummer and bassist provided was impossibly sharp and intricate, and the band's other members (guitar, trumpeter, saxophonist, and keyboardist Brad Watanabe of BW) added depth and energy to each song. I'd highly recommend seeing them live if you ever get the chance. I just hope one day I get to see them in Hawaii. Check out the Ooklah the Moc (and BW) Playlist on lala if you haven't already.

No comments:

Post a Comment